If you’ve read all about My Surprise Wedding, you probably know by now that our wedding wasn’t very traditional.
I admit that this was on purpose, it was like as soon as my fiancé and I agreed we wanted a surprise wedding, I wanted to see what else we could do a little differently. It was as if a voice in my head said “I challenge you to throw as many traditions out the window as you possibly can," to which I replied “Challenge Accepted!” (A little How I Met Your Mother reference for y’all.)
Let’s start off with the biggest element of your wedding day - the venue. Let’s get the creative juices working and think of a place that you absolutely love, or do you and your fiancé have a special place that represents the both of you? Think of Carrie Bradshaw in the Sex in the City movie, she chose the New York Public Library as the perfect place to marry Big. Yes, let’s just forget for the moment how that wedding was a complete disaster, BUT imagine if Big wasn’t a dickhead and they actually got married there! As Carrie said “the classic New York landmark that housed all the great love stories” - which was perfect for her!
- Favourite Restaurant
- Out in the Wilderness - In the bush, a cave, by a river etc
- Plant Nursery
- Gaol - http://www.maitlandgaol.com.au/venue-hire or http://www.oldmelbournegaol.com.au/venue-hire/
- Warehouse https://www.hiddencitysecrets.com.au/function-venues-sydney/warehouse-venues/ or https://www.hiddencitysecrets.com.au/function-venues-brisbane/warehouse-venues/
- Amusement Park - http://www.lunaparkweddings.com
- On a boat (then you can yell out to your guests “I’m On A Boat!”)
- A Bar or Pub
Your wedding ceremony can be big and extravagant, or it can be short and sweet, the sky is the limit! Let your mind wander and you can have a 2 hour wedding ceremony!
There are only a handful of necessities, to ensure that your marriage is legal and all by the book. These include a few phrases that both you and your fiancé need to say, a couple that your celebrant needs to say, and the signing of a few forms. Feel free to have a chat with your celebrate for the specifics, but other than that, you can have/do whatever you want! The exchanging of the rings is not even required!
With that in mind, feel free to come up with your own ceremony that celebrates you both in a way that is uniquely you, and that you would feel comfortable doing. Think about how you want to walk down the aisle, if there even is an aisle! You can sing a song or do a dance instead of having a reading, feel free to write your own vows or recite lyrics from your favourite song.
- Be married by a drag queen (Married by Timothy/Timberlina - http://marriedbytimothy.com)
- Ride down the aisle on a horse
- Have a musician sing one of your favourite songs instead of a reading
- Dance down the aisle to Justin Timberlake’s “Sexyback”
- Have a 60-piece marching band escort you back up the aisle once the ceremony is over!
Most girls grow up dreaming of wearing a beautiful, delicate, handmade white wedding dress. I get it, I wore a white dress to my own wedding. My main priority was comfort above everything else which is why I chose a straight dress made up of only 2 layers, with flat sparkly shoes. Maybe if I had more time (we were only engaged for 3 months), I possibly would’ve looked around a bit more, possibly for a pink dress, cos that’s just how I roll. So think about how you roll, is a bright bold coloured dress more your thing? Or maybe a jumpsuit? Or possibly something with lots of sequins and glitter? Come on, it's your day, your deserve to shine and sparkle!!
And one for you grooms, look how awesome these guys look in their matching charro suits for a Mexican - inspired wedding!